A Bite of Wisdom

"Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always."
Rilke

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Return Again

"Home is not only a place you remember, but a place that remembers you, even if you have never been there before, the place that holds some essesntial piece of you in trust, waiting for you to return." Oriah

Return Again
Return Again
Return to the Land of my Soul

Return to who I am
Return to what I am
Return to where I am
Born and Reborn Again

These are the words to a Hebrew song we sang many times in Circle on my Ireland Trip as we visited the sacred sites

Commentary:
The Shaman in me feels a deep connection to certain lands. My first deep connection, even before I realized it, was with the forests, trees and rivers of Mt. Hood. It has been over a year since I sold my cabin, and even longer since I have spent any time on the land just listening and being filled.

For an unknown reason, I feel a deep pull to return there this week. At first I didn't know why, but as I unpacked boxes, I came across our sweet dog Nelly's ashes. She had expressed a desire to be placed there after her death, but we have not been willing or ready to part with them.....until now. And it is really time now. Don't know why, but I'm trusting it. I have assured Laura we will save some of them for our home, but the rest will go to the base of the tree right outside our cabin, with more on the riverbank which we spent many hours exploring and swimming and more up on the Badger Creek Wilderness Trail where we often hiked.

The other land that called me for years was Ireland. She finally claimed me for good last April. I felt so close and connected to certain places, especially La Crough and the Cliffs of Mohr. I cannot begin to understand on a logical level what happened to me at the Cliffs. As soon as my eyes got even the slightest glimpse, tears began pouring from my eyes. I wasn't crying really, but I could not stop the tears for almost 2 hours. Of course it is a breath-taking place of natural beauty, but that wasn't it. But...I don't know what it was. I wanted to just sit there on the ground and let them come, but unfortunately we didn't have time. It was one of our quickest stops. Our tour guide Kathleen Verigan reported the exact same experience to me when she first saw them. Someday I will go back and do the sit and the cry and walk the entire length.



This woman was there that day playing the harp, which really got the tears going. I'm going back!

No comments: