A Bite of Wisdom

"Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always."
Rilke

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Song of 2008

I was sent a list of questions from one of my teachers as a practice in reviewing the last year of my life. ONe of the questions was...if you had to pick a song that represented the last year for you, what would that song be? I have been sitting with that question this week...tonight it came to me.

Here it is, followed by a brief, for me, explanation of why.




This song is representative because last year seemed like the end of a long journey, and in the end, it lead me right back where I started, back home, but this time, it is a joyfully inhabited heart. A heart with purpose and more compassion and depth. I have managed to shed many illusions about myself and about life in general. Part of the journey aspect has also been my travel to Ireland; truly the land of my soul. A place that surely I have lived and loved before and a place I will return, even if only my ashes, spread at Laugh Crew, on top of the Cairn, but also near the Hags Chair. Laura, who accompanied me on the trip, has been instructed, and money is set aside for her return trip to bring me back there when this journey, in this body is complete.

This journey home, to myself, feels complete. No more striving, no more second- guessing or discontent. Abiding peace and a deeper presence have taken their place. I have inhabited my solitude in a way that is deeply nourishing, rather than lonely...and I enjoy the company I keep there.

I have learned to accept the financial trials of the last few years in trust. I have grown to embrace my an aging body, while also learning to respect its limits and nurture my health in a kinder way.

And I ask you........what song would you choose to be your song of the year?

No comments: