A Bite of Wisdom

"Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always."
Rilke

Friday, December 26, 2008

Even Accidents Aren't Accidental

I got to have lunch today with my friend Shelley who I haven't seen for a very long time. As I dressed this morning I was remembering the circumstances that lead to our meeting. I was training to do the Honolulu Marathon in 2004 and at the peak of the training regimen was rear ended in my car and even though the injury to my low back was not major, it was enough that I could not continue to run the miles necessary without aggravating the injury, so I dropped out, very disappointed and confused as to why this had happened, interfering with my goal.

I was training through TNT to raise money for cancer research, so in their program I was able to delay my participation to a future event. I picked Alaska June 2005 and let my body heal..

When we started training the next February I met many amazing women, some of which I'm still in contact with, one being Shelley. We shared a love of learning, spiritual exploration, and even Golden Retrievers. We didn't get to train together much because she was doing the half and I was the whole, but we did warm up together a couple of times. It wasn't until the plane trip up to Anchorage that we really formed the deep bond of friendship. I think we talked the entire trip up without taking a breath, and an ongoing friendship resulted. I grew to respect and love her more and more as time went on....

So, as I was dressing this morning, I had to pause and be thankful. For, if I was not in that car accident, we would never have met. And...it gave me pause to consider all the other incidents, big and small, that have initially seemed like an imposition, and surely were not part of MY plan, but that brought the next perfect thing into my life.

For me, the lesson was, and is, to embrace ALL that happens and trust in the bigger picture...let go of my attachment to the way things look and pause in curiosity and wonder, rather than frustration whenever there is a detour.....it could be God's next blessing....trying to happen. And...if I just relax and listen and follow flow instead of fighting it...then I'll be quiet enough and have my heart and eyes open to see the gift, and surely Shelley is a gift. Love ya darlin'.

No comments: