A Bite of Wisdom

"Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always."
Rilke

Saturday, October 4, 2008

OUchhhhh

So, in my attempt to simplify my life and invest my time in people, things and ideas that support my deepest values I have managed to give up TV this week, with the exception of a few minutes of the VP debate. In truth I haven't missed it. I've had no cold turkey withdrawl sweats or shakes, so I decided to call Comcast today and downgrade to their lowest package....and what a deal at only $7.82/month!

It's funny how the psyche responds to it's comforts being taken away. I feel like a toddler in a high chair and someone took my cookie. I didn't realize that when I gave up my $55/month package (which is only one teir up from basic), I would have to give up my remote control....damn that hurts. I lost the remote to this dinasaur tv years ago, and had honestly been just waiting for the thing to die..but the thought of having NO REMOTE for my tv is painful....for some reason. In reality it makes no sense. If I'm not going to be watching, who cares? I guess I do. So, I'll dutifully return my digital box and remote today. Maybe I'll take the $50 i'll save and do something kind for myself....any ideas?

1 comment:

molly said...

i like buying flowers when i have extra $$ and putting them on my desk. i have given up getting on the computer at nightime - have only made it 1 night (last night). we'll see. glad i found your blog. i found it when i googled byron katie's quote 'defense is the first act of war' and saw your August post.

i'm excited to get to see Byron Katie at an upcoming conference. :)