A Bite of Wisdom

"Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always."
Rilke

Friday, September 12, 2008

I cried.....tears of joy

I got the clearance from my PT last Friday to return to Yoga. Laura and I attended a class at LA Fitness last Sunday, which was very physical, with an Ashtanga and Vinyasa flair. I loved it...Laura was bored half way through so I let her leave to explore on her own.

As I was resting in Shavasana at the end of class with a completely empty mind, I found out of nowhere (or should I say 'now-here') that my body was releasing tears of joy. I could have easily (if I was not the new student in class) curled up in a ball on the floor and let them flow...wish I could have. The tears did not arise out of a thought or even an emotion....just a release of joy from my heart, bringing tears.

I have always loved Yoga, but what I learned this morning, is that my soul loves this practice and was so grateful I had returned to the mat. I have always heard and accepted there was a spiritual aspect to the poses, but never experienced it so profoundly, personally before that morning.

Seane Corn, featured in this clip, was one of my first experiences of Vinyasa (flow) practice; my favorite type. This morning I attended another class at LAF, with a different instructor, who I LOVED! Through her practice I was able to feel and understand precisely what has lead to these knee problems; where I am too tight and where I am too loose...

She shared that she had a difficult childhood and suffered from OCD and chronic depression for years, and it was not until beginning Yoga that things began to shift. She tells of leaving class one day early in her practice when she realized something was happening in her body as she walked home, in exploring it further, what she realized, was she was feeling HAPPINESS...for the first time in years. She had forgotten what it felt like to feel happy and yoga reconnected her with that inside herself. So began her journey.

Hope you enjoy Seane's message as much as I do! Namaste

No comments: