A Bite of Wisdom

"Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always."
Rilke

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Raw for 30 days

In a quest to cure my arthritis pain and heal my body I have gone on a deep, mostly internal search for what my body wants and needs to heal. No one could be more surprised than myself when I was lead to raw food. I started with a 4 day Master Cleanse, which resulted in the disappearance of years of chronic sinusitis and allergies. I am loving the food. I feel satisfied and more than that, my energy has never been better (in the last 20 years, anyway). No more need for afternoon naps and my blood pressure is normal and my allergies are still gone, in a couple of weeks and the weight is coming off in a healthy way...no counting calories or measuring or deprivation. I am having a blast exploring this whole world of fruits and vegetables. This summer I read the book, "Animal, Vegetable, Mirlacle", in which the author claimed that local organic produce was so much more tasty than the grocery store variety. I was skeptical, but I have found she is right. The funny thing, I wouldn't think twice about paying $4 for a bag of cookies, but why would I wince at paying $3 pound for organic local produce? which usually is a wnole lot more food and amazingly juicy.

Some of the research I did brought me to study the information presented by the institute that made this video. I think it's amazing, and although I don't have diabetes, if I did, I'd be signing up to go to Arizona. For me, I plan to be off all prescription meds. I am off of 2 out of 3 and hope to drop the 3rd in the next month. Take a minute to watch this fun video...



Now, it's not my intent to be on a soap box, and it may not be for everyone, but for me, it is just perfect. I love that it solves my problem of being too lazy to cook. Most of it I can make ahead, and if not, it takes only a few minutes. If worse comes to worse, I can grab some fruit and nuts. I LOVE and look forward to my satisfying green smoothie in the morning and my afternoon dates if a sweet tooth comes up. And there are always the raw chocolate ice cream I can literally whip up in one minute if I need it. Like the lady in the video, I have an addiction to food and a love affair with food. It has been used for every reason BUT nutrition my entire life and I am humbled and grateful that I have discovered it is possible to renew my vigor and stop the degenerative process in my body and eat amazing tasting food, as much as I want. I am not suffering or using white knuckles to stay away from junk. I think with my body finally getting the enzymes and nutrients it craves and getting off the addictive stuff it doesn't take control to eat right. Eating right, for all the right reasons just works for me. It's ironic that it took this much pain for me to make it, but no regret.....all in good time.

1 comment:

Suasoria said...

Beautiful and inspiring. Best of luck! Do check out goneraw.com for recipes and companionship.